Make a non-toxic DIY essential oil play dough for your kids – and yourself!
When I was a kid, I loved play dough! I’m sure most of us loved playing with that soft clay and transforming it into different shapes. Now I’m an adult, I got to admit I still love play dough – it acts as a great stress reliever. But I want something non-toxic and safe for my kids to play with! Something without the plastic-y smell of store-bought play dough but still as fun to squish, roll and manipulate.
Welcome this DIY essential oil play dough! I seriously didn’t know it would be this easy to make play dough! You only need a few ingredients in your kitchen and a lovely smelling essential oil. I love sweet orange essential oil for its fun citrus scent. The scent of sweet orange uplifts mood and keeps you cheery! You can of course, use any essential oils of your choice. Lavender & Ylang Ylang oils are calming and relaxing if you want to soothe a fussy crying kid.
Let’s check out the other ingredients in the recipe below! Note: I used unrefined coconut oil as one of the ingredients because it makes the clay super soft and pliable but if you don’t have it, feel free to use vegetable oil!
Okay, onto the DIY Essential Oil Play Dough Recipe!
DIY Essential Oil Play Dough Recipe
Store the play dough in clear air-tight plastic containers in the fridge for up to a month.
What you need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups cold water
- 5 drops sweet orange oil
- Food coloring
- Heat source
- Air tight plastic containers
- In a sauce pan, add the flour, salt, cream of tartar, coconut oil and water.
- Place the saucepan over the stove on medium heat. Stir it for about 5 minutes, until it has reached play dough consistency.
- Then remove from heat, let it cool down completely.
- Knead in the food coloring and essential oil.
- If you want, split the dough into 3 balls. Add different food coloring and essential oils to each of the balls. For example, yellow food coloring with ylang ylang oil, purple food coloring for lavender oil and orange food coloring for sweet orange oil.
- Wohoo! Your DIY Essential Oil Play Dough is ready!
- Store the play dough in an air tight container.
- It can keep for a month in the refrigerator.
- Enjoy playing!
Go ahead and make this DIY essential oil play dough and have oodles of fun!