Essential oils are perfect ingredients to add to a natural deodorant: they fight bacteria, mask bad odor and smell fantastic too! Learn how to make your own deodorant with this super simple essential oil deodorant spray recipe!
Benefits of Making Your Own Deodorant
Why bother making your own deodorant when you can find a good deodorant at the store? Here are some reasons that’ll get you running to make your own!
►Minimal ingredients: You’ve probably heard this more times than enough but take a look at the ingredients list at the back of your deodorant or antiperspirant spray bottle: is it long with unpronounceable words in a tiny script? I thought so. Meanwhile, this essential oils deodorant spray recipe contains just 4 ingredients yet it still works well. Beat that!
► Chemical-free & non-toxic: Some of the ingredients in commercial deodorants are just a term that actually comprise other numerous ingredients – take fragrance for example, it goes by other names such as perfume and parfum. It’s a term that represents a long list of undisclosed synthetic chemicals such as phthalates, aldehydes, benzenes and other toxic substances that have been linked to allergies, dermatitis, reproductive problems and more!
Don't Miss: Our Essential Oil Ebooks
► Aluminum – free: Aluminum in deodorants is used to stop sweating by blocking the sweat ducts in the armpits. This causes the toxins and wastes that are normally removed from the body through sweat to get stuck inside and accumulate which causes health problems including breast cancer. Sweating is normal and actually healthy – it’s one of the ways the body gets rid of wastes. This deodorant recipe will minimize sweating but not stop it altogether.
► It’s cheap: Creating your own deodorant is cheaper than buying highly priced tiny containers of store-bought deodorant.
► It’s easy to make: Just whip up 4 ingredients and voila! You have a deodorant spray that’s refreshing, smells great and most importantly, WORKS!
► You fun to customize: Fancy a refreshing scent? Use a blend of fresh and minty essential oils. Want a citrus aroma? Mix up your citrus essential oils! Honestly, it’s so much fun to experiment with different scent blends!
DIY Essential Oil Deodorant Spray Recipe
This essential oil deodorant spray recipe is made up of 4 ingredients such as:
- witch hazel: a natural astringent that shrinks the pores on the armpits hence controlling over-sweating. It also acts as an emulsifier to combine the essential oils
- distilled water: acts as the base ingredient for the spray recipe, dilutes the witch hazel and baking soda, refreshes skin
- baking soda: neutralizes bad odor, minimizes sweating
- essential oils: have great scents that keep skin smelling clean fresh and scented, are powerful antioxidants that protect the sensitive skin, are strong antimicrobial and antiseptic agents that fight off bacteria responsible for bad body odor.
What you Need
- ¼ cup witch hazel (where to get it)
- ½ cup distilled water (where to get it)
- 1 tsp baking soda (where to get it)
- Any of the essential oil deodorant blends below
- 8 oz amber glass spray bottle (where to get it)
Essential Oil Blends for Deodorant
- 3 drops lemon (where to get it)
- 3 drops mandarin orange (where to get it)
- 3 drops sweet orange (where to get it)
- 3 drops grapefruit (where to get it)
- 4 drops frankincense (where to get it)
- 3 drops juniper berry (where to get it)
- 3 drops eucalyptus (where to get it)
- 2 drops grapefruit (where to get it)
For sensitive underarms
- 6 drops lavender (where to get it)
- 4 drops geranium (where to get it)
- 2 drops roman chamomile (where to get it)
- 4 drops geranium (where to get it)
- 3 drops lavender (where to get it)
- 2 drops clary sage (where to get it)
- 3 drops ylang ylang (where to get it)
- 5 drops rosemary (where to get it)
- 3 drops peppermint (where to get it)
- 4 drops lemon (where to get it)
- In a bowl, combine well the water, witch hazel and baking soda.
- Pour it into a glass spray bottle using a funnel.
- That’s it! Spritz once or twice on each armpit then let it dry.
- Store your essential oil deodorant spray in a cool dry place, away from direct sunlight.
- One spritz can last for about 6 – 8 hours, depending on the amount of physical activity you do that day.
What do you think? Are you willing to try this essential oil deodorant spray recipe?