About 10% of the population is diagnosed with diabetes, a condition where by the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin to keep blood glucose at normal levels. In this article, discover the top 5 essential oils for diabetes and how to use them with 2 DIY blends
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a term referring to a group of metabolic diseases characterized by an individual having high blood sugar due to two reasons: the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or body cells do not respond to the insulin being produced which is a condition known as insulin resistance. Because of high blood sugar, other symptoms such as increased thirst, urination and hunger occur. There are many types of diabetes but the two major ones include diabetes mellitus type 1 and diabetes mellitus type 2.
Some of the signs and symptoms of diabetes include:
- Constant hunger
- Sudden unexplained weight loss
- Slow healing of cuts and wounds
- Weight gain
- Flu-like symptoms
- Gum or skin infections that are recurrent
- Vaginal or bladder infections that are recurrent
- Blurred vision
- Tingling sensation in the hands or feet
How Do Essential Oils Help Diabetes?
Essential oils are highly concentrated substances extracted from Nature through two unique processes that are steam distillation and mechanical expression. Aromatic parts of plants such as the tree bark, roots, leaves, seeds, flowers, fruit rinds and resin.
What makes essential oils powerful natural remedies for many health problems is their chemical makeup which is composed of various natural chemical compounds including terpenes, esters, oxides and others that give each oil its characteristic scent and therapeutic qualities.
Below are some of the ways essential oils help diabetes and its symptoms:
- Lower glucose levels
- Decrease systolic blood pressure
- Reduce sugar cravings
- Help in wound healing
- Fight off infectious pathogens
- Strengthen the immune system
- Reduce inflammation
- Modify glycemic control
Research on Essential Oils for Diabetes
► Study One: Research shows that a blend of fenugreek, cinnamon, cumin, and oregano oils enhanced insulin sensitivity and lowered glucose levels and systolic blood pressure (read more)
► Study Two: Cinnamon oil has been showed to have a hypoglycemic activity and pancreas-protective effect as well as significantly lower fasting blood glucose and fructosamine (read more)
► Study Three: Korean pine oil has hypoglycemic potential and is a potent anti-diabetic agent (read more)
Top 5 Essential Oils for Diabetes
1. Cinnamon (where to get it)
2. Clove (where to get it)
3. Coriander (where to get it)
4. Melissa (where to get it)
5. Korean Pine
Below are two effective recipes that help manage and heal diabetes naturally:
2 Essential Oil Recipes for Diabetes
Note: Ingesting essential oils is generally not considered because its long-term risks are not clearly known. For people with diabetes, even more caution should be taken to avoid essential oil ingestion because it is not known how they can affect the blood sugar levels.
1. Diabetes Support Foot Blend
What you need
- 5 drops cinnamon
- 7 drops coriander
- 7 drops Melissa
- 5 drops clove
- Fractionated coconut oil (where to get it)
- 10 ml roller bottle (where to get it)
- Remove the roller ball from the bottle and add the essential oils drop by drop.
- Top with fractionated coconut oil, place the roller ball firmly back on and screw on the cap.
- Shake the bottle to combine all the oils.
- To use, rub over the pancreas area and the bottoms of feet at night.
2. Diffuser Blend to Beat Sugar Cravings & Promote Mental Relaxation
What you need
- 3 drops grapefruit
- 3 drops lemon
- 1 drop spearmint
- 1 drop ylang ylang
- Non – plastic cold air diffuser (where to get it)
Add oils to a cold – air diffuser, following the manufacturer’s instructions.