Many women, and men alike, are struggling with fertility issues due to different factors. Along with other natural remedies, essential oils for fertility can help you conceive a healthy child faster and easier.
What is Fertility and Infertility?
Fertility is refers to the ability to get pregnant. Infertility is where there is a dysfunction in reproductive system that prevents the normal function of the organs.
If a couple cannot conceive after 1 year of unprotected sex, this is defined as infertility. About 12% of married couples are infertile or cannot sustain a pregnancy.
Although there are many possible causes for infertility such as age, reproductive disorders like PSOS and hormonal imbalances, it doesn’t hurt a couple to use natural remedies like essential oils to boost their chances of conception.
Note: If you have been having fertility issues for over 6 – 12 months, it is best to consult a doctor to treat any underlying problems. Essential oils can be used alongside fertility treatment, after consulting with your doctor.
Research on Essential Oils for Fertility
Although the research on the effect of essential oils on fertility is limited, we can easily deduce that they can have a positive effect on fertility because of their effects on factors that are believed to contributed to infertility such as:
Stress: According to studies (1), stress can have an effect on fertility, including stress stemming from long working hours, and even being stressed out about not being able to conceive, which can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Essential oils like lavender are proven to reduce anxiety, fear, promotes peaceful sleep and alleviates stress and tension from the mind. (2) From this we can deduce that by using essential oils we can reduce the stress that causes infertility, thereby increasing the chances of conception.
How Do Essential Oils Boost Fertility?
Here are some of the properties in essential oils that can help boost fertility:
Antioxidant: Antioxidants, which have been shown to treat infertility (3), are rich in essential oils such as aniseed and more. Antioxidants help fight free radical damage which contributes to infertility.
Aphrodisiac: Essential oils such as rose, jasmine and ylang ylang have been used since ancient times as potent aphrodisiacs. This means they can boost libido and put you in the mood, which can both help to increase the chances of conceiving.
Anti-inflammatory: Anti-inflammatory properties found in many essential oils can help relieve inflammation, which is the root of all disease. With excessive inflammation in the body, such as in the case of chronic disease, fertility may be hindered.
Hormone regulating: Some essential oils such as clary sage and geranium have hormone-regulating properties that can help balance and correct hormonal disturbances in the body that are hindering fertility.
Stress relieving: As mentioned above, the scents of some essential oils help relieve stress by promoting feeling of peace and calmness.
Emmenagogue: Essential oils such as fennel, clary sage and sage exhibit emmenagogue properties, which help regulate the menstrual cycle, promote menstrual flow and stimulate the monthly cycle for those with irregular periods, which form a barrier to easy conception.
Top 10 Essential Oils for Fertility
1. Geranium (where to get it)
2. Chamomile (where to get it)
3. Fennel (where to get it)
4. Rose (where to get it)
5. Yarrow (where to get it)
6. Clary sage (where to get it)
7. Ylang ylang (where to get it)
8. Lavender (where to get it)
9. Aniseed (where to get it)
10. Jasmine (where to get it)
How to Use Essential Oils for Fertility
1. Fertility Blend Recipe
Combine several fertility essential oils to create a powerful synergy blend that can work harmoniously together to stimulate fertility.
- 25 drops of clary sage
- 20 drops of fennel
- 15 drops of geranium
- 10 drops of lavender
- 10 drops of bergamot
- Measure out all the oils in a small glass bowl. Now add the blend into an 1 oz amber glass dropper bottle, using a pipette since you don’t want to accidentally pour any of the precious oils.
- Now close the cap and shake to combine all the oils thoroughly.
- This is your fertility blend, which you can whip out and use any time you need a quick customized blend. You can add this blend to massage creams, baths, foot soaks and more. It must be diluted before use, of course.
2. Sensual Massage Recipe
A sensual couple massage is the perfect way to get you both in the mood for some fertile action. Here’s an aphrodisiac blend that can help awaken your romantic senses.
- 1/2 cup of fractionated coconut oil (where to get it)
- 4 drops of jasmine essential oil
- 4 drops of rose oil
- 4 drops of yarrow essential oil
- 2 drops of peppermint oil (where to get it)
- In a 4 oz amber glass jar, mix all the ingredients and stir to get them all mixed up.
- Dip into the jar with clean fingers to give your partner a full body massage that can get you in the mood after a long tiring day.
3. Calming Bath Time
- 1 cup of Epsom salts (where to get it)
- 1 cup of bentonite clay (where to get it)
- 10 drops of chamomile
- 10 drops of rose
- 10 drops of jasmine
- 10 drops of ginger
- 5 drops of peppermint
- Run a hot bath and dissolve the Epsom salts and clay while the bath is running.
- Add essential oils and stir them in.
- Soak in this bath for 15 minutes before bed time, and let the magic happen.
4. Fertility Reflexology
Reflexology is a powerful tool where by certain points on the feet or hands are believed to be connected to different organs around the body. Massage the point on the above your wrist on the top of your hand, to stimulate reproductive cells and sex hormones in both males and females.
Use your fertility blend from above to apply a drop of the diluted blend onto the fertility points in the body.
What are your favorite essential oils for fertility? Tell us in the comments below!