Some people hate long car rides because of two words: motion sickness. Also known as travel sickness, motion sickness is a common condition that affects many people around the world. In this article, discover how to use essential oils for motion sickness with 2 effective recipes.
What is Motion Sickness?
Motion sickness is basically being sick (nauseous and lightheaded) due to being in a moving vehicle. There are three forms of motion sickness: air, sea and car sickness.
The most common form of motion sickness is car sickness. Motion sickness can happen to anyone when the vehicle is speeding, the road is going round and round up a hill or mountain and if the person is on a seat facing the back of the car.
Some of the symptoms of motion sickness include:
- Feeling dizzy and lightheaded
- Rapid breathing
- Sweating a lot
- Face turning pale
- And more
How Do Essential Oils Help Motion Sickness?
Essential oils are volatile liquid substances extracted from aromatic botanicals. There are two processes to extract essential oils – through steam distillation and mechanical expression (as in the case of citrus oils). Essential oils are made up of a wide range of chemical constituents including terpenes, ketones, esters, alcohols and phenols, among others, that have therapeutic benefits. Below are some of the ways essential oils help motion sickness:
- By curbing nausea
- Reducing anxiety
- Relieving stress
- Alleviating headaches
- Getting rid of lightheadedness
- And more
Top 6 Essential Oils for Motion Sickness
1. Peppermint (where to get it)
2. Ginger (where to get it)
3. Black Pepper (where to get it)
4. Lavender (where to get it)
5. Basil (where to get it)
6. Grapefruit (where to get it)
Find 2 essential oil recipes for motion sickness below:
2 Essential Oil Recipes for Motion Sickness
Learn how to use essential oils for motion sickness with 2 super simple recipes!
1. Roller Bottle Blend
What you need
- 7 drops ginger
- 8 drops peppermint
- Fractionated coconut oil (where to get it)
- 10 ml roller bottle (where to get it)
- Add the essential oils drop by drop to the roller bottle.
- Top with fractionated coconut oil.
- To use, roll onto the stomach, back of neck, behind ears, shoulders and wrists.
2. Motion Sickness Spray
What you need
- ¼ cup witch hazel (where to get it)
- ¼ cup distilled water (where to get it)
- 10 drops peppermint
- 7 drops lavender
- 5 drops lemon
- 2 drops ginger
- 4 oz spray bottle (where to get it)
- Add the essential oils, witch hazel and water to the spray bottle.
- Shake vigorously to combine all ingredients.
- Spray on neck, above navel and wrists. Also spray in the car.
Using essential oils for motion sickness is a natural remedy that provides quick relief. Do you have any other effective essential oil recipes for motion sickness?