Receding gums are a warning sign of gum disease, which can lead to loss of teeth and erosion of the jaw. With essential oils for receding gums, you can heal and re-grow your gum naturally and safely.
What Are Receding Gums?
Receding gums, also known as gingival recession is refers to the loss of gum tissue, which exposes the roots of the teeth. It can also occur as a result of the gingival margin (edge of the gum) retracting and eventually detaching from the crown of the tooth.
The number one warning sign for gum disease is receding gums and the condition must be attended to immediately to prevent further deterioration of the gum.
The most common signs of receding gums are:
- Bleeding when brushing or flossing
- Exposed roots of teeth
- Teeth appearing longer than they are
- Tooth mobility
- Inflamed, reddened gums
- Bad breath/Halitosis
Some of the most common causes of gum recession include:
- Poor dental hygiene, which causes plaque buildup that slowly destroys gums in the long term
- Aggressive brushing and flossing, which cuts the gums and creates entry points for bacteria
- Lack of vitamin C, also known as scurvy
- Damage by stomach acid due to frequent vomiting, especially in eating disorders like bulimia
- Genetics, where gum tissue tends to be thin
The conventional treatment for receding gums may vary from patient to patient. In most cases, when the root cause of the condition is identified and fixed, such as reducing aggressive brushing and flossing, the gums tend to grow back themselves.
Otherwise, soft tissue graft surgery is the most popular treatment for receding gums. Here gum cells from another part of the patient’s mouth, donor gum cells or stem cells are used to replace receded gums.
Note: When you have receding gums, it is best to first visit your doctor and get proper diagnosis and treatment. Gum recession is often a warning sign of other diseases or deficiencies in your body and must be addressed accordingly. Essential oils are only a supporting tool to help you regrow your gums. Consult with your doctor before using them.
What Makes Essential Oils Good for Receding Gums?
There are quite a few powerful essential oils that can be used to treat receding gums. What these essential oils have in common are special properties that help directly stimulate gum growth and assist in faster healing. Some of these compounds include:
Anti-inflammatory compounds: Essential oils are rich in natural anti-inflammatory compounds that help to reduce swelling, inflammation, puffiness and redness of the gums. Yarrow essential oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory that can help reduce inflammation of the gums.
Analgesic: Some oils such as clove oil are high in natural analgesic substances, or pain killers, which help to alleviate pain. Oils like peppermint may also create a tingly feeling that can help take your mind off the pain of receding gums. These same oils can also help to fight bad breath and leave your mouth smelling fresh and clean.
Stimulant: Stimulation is very important to encourage blood circulation to the gums. Proper blood circulation will bolster gum growth and supply the gums with nutrients and oxygen to maintain good health. Some essential oils with stimulant properties include yarrow and sage.
Antioxidant: Antioxidant properties are what will help you to support gum regeneration by stimulating cell growth and repair. Oils like frankincense essential oil are rich in antioxidant compounds, which can help rebuild your gums and reverse recession of the gingival margin.
Anti-bacterial: Essential oils such as tea tree/melaleuca are rich in anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that are very important for those suffering with gum problems. Receding gums are more vulnerable to infections from harmful bacteria, which can be eliminated by essential oils.
Top 5 Essential Oils for Receding Gums
When it comes to receding gums, these are the best 5 essential oils you can count on:
1. Frankincense (where to get it)
2. Clove (where to get it)
3. Peppermint (where to get it)
4. Tea Tree (where to get it)
5. Yarrow (where to get it)
6. Lemon (where to get it)
7. Sage (where to get it)
How to Use Essential Oils for Receding Gums
Now that you know what the best essential oils for receding gums are, here are 3 effective ways you can incorporate them into your daily dental routing to cure receding gums.
1. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic dental care technique that rose from traditional Indian medicine. Oil pulling became incredibly popular and trendy in the western world recently – the reason being, many people tried it out and had great success with it. Oil pulling is particularly helpful for teeth whitening, healing cavities, eliminating halitosis and curing gingival recession.
What you need:
- 8 oz Amber glass bottle (where to get it)
- Funnel for pouring in oils
- ¾ cup of organic cold-pressed sesame oil (where to get it)
- 8 drops of yarrow essential oil
- 8 drops of sage oil
- 5 drops of clove oil
- 2 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1 drop of tea tree
- In your amber bottle, measure out and carefully pour in the sesame oil using a funnel.
- Next drop in the essential oils carefully.
- Screw on the lid and shake to combine your oils.
- Every morning, on an empty stomach, pour 2 teaspoons of the oil into your mouth and simply swish the oil around your mouth. Suck the oil through your teeth and swivel it around your tongue and gums. Do this for 10 – 15 minutes every day.
- Your gums will feel less painful and will start growing back slowly over time.
2. DIY Toothpaste
Did you know that conventional tooth paste contains harsh chemicals, synthetic fragrances and foaming agents, which can aggravate your gums? When you are suffering from receding gums, the first thing you have throw out is your tooth paste. Instead make your own safe and gum-friendly tooth paste with the recipe below.
- ½ cup of baking soda (where to get it)
- 2 teaspoons of activated charcoal (where to get it)
- ¼ cup of coconut oil (where to get it)
- 20 drops of clove oil
- 10 drops of yarrow essential oil
- 5 drops of frankincense oil
- 2 drops of lemon oil
- Combine all the ingredients thoroughly in a suitable glass jar.
- To use, simply scoop up some of the paste onto your tooth brush.
- Brush as you normally do. Rinse and repeat, if necessary.
- Note that this paste is not foaming and may take some time to get used to. But rest assured, it does a good job of getting your teeth clean, white and dandy.
3. Gum Stimulating Mouth Wash
Make your own mouth wash to make your gums happy enough to grow back. You’ll need only a few ingredients.
What you need:
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (where to get it)
- 1 cup of pure water *distilled water preferred (where to get it)
- 2 teaspoons of pink Himalayan salt (where to get it)
- 1 tablespoon of manuka honey (where to get it)
- 10 drops of peppermint oil
- 10 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 5 drops of clove oil
- 5 drops of sage oil
- 16 oz glass bottle to store (where to get it)
- Funnel to pour ingredients
- In your glass bottle, pour in your apple cider vinegar and distilled water using a funnel to avoid a mess.
- Pour in the manuka honey and the salt.
- Now drop in the essential oils one by one.
- Firmly close the cap and shake to get all the ingredients thoroughly mixed.
- Keep this mouth wash in your medicine cabinet/bathroom and use every after brushing or heading out the door.
- As with all mouthwashes, take care not to swallow.
Have you ever used essential oils for receding gums? Share with us your testimony in the comments below!