Stress is an all too common thing and almost everyone nowadays is stressed. Too much or chronic stress brings headaches that can make one mentally as well as physically fatigued. In this article, find out the best essential oils for stress headaches and how to use them
What are Stress Headaches?
Stress headaches are sharp or dull aches brought about by stress which can be sudden or chronic. A stress headache may first show up as a dull pressure or aching sensation on the temples or any part of the head and slowly rise to a pounding nauseating headaches.
These types of headaches can affect anyone: from school kids to working adults due to work overload, strict deadlines and more. Stress headaches are also common among myopic people as they tend to strain their eyes a lot which build-ups into a headache on the temples and back of eyes.
How Do Essential Oils Help Stress Headaches?
The power of aroma therapy and topical use of essential oils is incredibly healing for many health ailments. Essential oil molecules are so tiny that they go deep into the skin and enter the blood stream so much so that they can be present in blood samples. Essential oils help relieve stress headaches in the following ways:
- They are powerful analgesics, or pain relieving agents, that help numb down sharp pains or dull aches like that of stress headaches
- They have anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce inflammation in the body, which coupled with stress, is a cause of headaches
- They have calming therapeutic scents that relieve stress
- They provide cooling sensations on the skin that alleviate aches
- They promote deep and peaceful sleep
- They calm nerves, dispel negativity and promote happiness which decrease stress
Below, find the top 7 essential oils that help alleviate stress headaches:
Top 7 Essential Oils for Stress Headaches
1. Peppermint (where to get it)
2. Eucalyptus (where to get it)
3. Spearmint (where to get it)
4. Wintergreen (where to get it)
5. Basil (where to get it)
6. Lavender (where to get it)
7. Bay Leaf (where to get it)
Essential Oil Recipes for Stress Headaches
1. Soothing & Pain Relieving Cream
What you need
- 1 tsp coconut oil (where to get it)
- 3 drops peppermint or eucalyptus oil
- Combine the ingredients together in a small dish or your palm.
- Rub on your temples, forehead, base of spine, back of neck and shoulders.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes then wash if off because your sebum (natural oils) may mingle with the cream and seep into your eyes.
- Reapply if needed.
2. Headache Roller Blend
What you need
- 7 drops eucalyptus
- 5 drops lavender
- 5 drops basil
- 3 drops wintergreen
- Fractionated coconut oil (where to get it)
- 10 ml roller bottle (where to get it)
- Remove the roller ball from the roller bottle then add the essential oils drop by drop.
- Top with fractionated coconut oil and push back the roller ball.
- Screw on the cap and shake gently to combine the oils.
- To use, roll it on your temples, forehead, back of neck, shoulders and even feet (as this area has meridian points that connect to different body organs including the brain and eyes).
Essential oils can be the cure to your stress headaches! Many people apply essential oils and get immediate relief without needing to take any painkillers. Are you ready to use this powerful natural remedy!