Teething can be tough on both baby and parents. Learn how to use essential oils for teething for pain relief, peaceful sleep and consistent appetite.
What is Teething?
Teething is when your babies teeth begin emerging through the gums. It can be painful and very uncomfortable for your little tot as tiny milk teeth begin cutting through the gums.
Teething can start as young as 3 months. Teething may begin weeks, or even months before the actual tooth emerges out of the gums.
A few babies go through teething unfazed. But for other babies, teething can be a major event, with a lot of crying, disturbed nap and sleep time and pain.
Some of the signs that your baby is going through teething include:
- Swollen or reddened gums
- Tendency to chew on objects for comfort
- Nipple biting during breastfeeding
- Over -salivation
- Irritability and increased crying
- Loss of appetite
- Loose stools/diarrhea
When your baby is going through so much pain, you are willing to do anything to make them feel better. One of the best natural remedies you can use is essential oils. However, essential oils are extremely powerful so extra caution has to be taken.
Please consult with your doctor before using essential oils for teething in your babies. Learn how to use essential oils carefully in babies before attempting to use them.
How Do Essential Oils Help with Teething?
Essential oils are not the go-to remedy for teething, but if used correctly, they can help by:
- Reducing gum swelling and inflammation
- Relieving pain
- Calming and soothing your baby
- Preventing infections/sores on the gums
Caution when Using Essential Oils for Teething
Please read: Essential Oils and Babies before using any essential oils on your baby.
Remember to consult with your baby’s doctor before using essential oils.
Top 3 Essential Oils for Teething
Always use 100% pure, unadulterated, organic certified oils from trusted sources. Here are the top 3 most popular essential oils for teething:
1. Organic Lavender (where to get it)
2. Organic Chamomile (where to get it)
3. Organic Clove (where to get it)
How to Use Essential Oils for Teething
Proper dilution is absolutely crucial when it comes to using essential oils with babies.
Dilute the essential oil of choice at a rate of 0.25% for babies 4 – 8 months and at a rate of 0.5% for babies 8 months and older.
Here is the basic guideline for dilution
- 0 – 3 months: Do not use essential oils in any form
- 4 – 8 months: Dilute 1 drop of essential oil in 4 teaspoons of carrier oil
- 8 – 24 months: Dilute 1 drop in 2 teaspoons of carrier oil
Good carrier oils of choice include organic coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and clarified butter.
Now apply 1 – 2 drops of the diluted essential oil onto your baby’s gums with your clean finger.
Do this for not more than 2 times a day. Do not carry on with this application for more than 3 days.
Remember, essential oils should be the last resort when it comes to soothing your teething baby. Try out other natural remedies first, before considering essential oils
Other Natural Remedies for Teething
1. Teething toys – Natural teething toys such as those made from amber, give your baby something to chew and bite on. This greatly helps to distract them and soothe itchy gums.
2. Homeopathic remedies – Homeopathic remedies are safe and popular for use on babies and children.
3. Hydrosols – The hydrosols of roman chamomile and lavender are great remedies for teething. They are much safer than essential oils and can be used directly without dilution. Rubbing 1 – 2 drops of organic chamomile hydrosol onto your baby’s gum can be soothing and relieving.
Do you use essential oils for teething? How did you deal with teething? Share your tips in the comments below!