Vertigo is not a pleasant sensation to have. Fortunately, there is a way to stabilize yourself before the spinning gets bad! Use these top 10 essential oils for vertigo and learn how to make your own DIY blends that curb nausea, stop dizziness and more!
What is Vertigo?
Vertigo is described as a condition whereby a person feels like the objects around him/her are moving when they are not. It is associated with a feeling of lightheadedness, spinning surroundings, swaying movement, nausea, dizziness, profuse sweating, blurry vision, headaches and difficulty walking properly.
The most common causes of vertigo include benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, Ménière’s disease, and labyrinthitis.
How Do Essential Oils Help Vertigo?
Essential oils are immensely helpful for vertigo because of their therapeutic scents and medicinal properties. They are highly concentrated liquid plant extracts that are made up of numerous natural chemicals. These chemicals include terpenes, oxides, ketones and others that give each oil its unique scent and properties. Below are some of the ways essential oils help vertigo:
- Stabilizing the mind and body
- Reducing dizziness & feeling lightheaded
- Curbing nausea
- Improving brain function
- Clearing brain fog
- Calming the mind and body
- Promoting deep and peaceful sleep
- Dispelling feelings of negativity
- Improving blood flow to the brain
- Oxygenating the brain
- Promoting clear and easy breathing
- And more
Top 10 Essential Oils for Vertigo
1. Peppermint (where to get it)
2. Ginger (where to get it)
3. Lavender (where to get it)
4. Cypress (where to get it)
5. Basil (where to get it)
6. Clary Sage (where to get it)
7. Rosemary (where to get it)
8. Frankincense (where to get it)
9. Rose (where to get it)
10. Tangerine (where to get it)
How to Use Essential Oils for Vertigo
Below are 3 essential oil recipes for vertigo:
1. Roller Bottle Recipe
What you need
- 6 drops peppermint
- 5 drops ginger
- 2 drops frankincense
- 6 drops rosemary
- 5 drops tangerine
- Fractionated coconut oil (where to get it)
- 10 ml roller bottle (where to get it)
- Roller bottle opener (where to get it)
- Remove the roller ball from the bottle and add the essential oils drop by drop.
- Top with fractionated coconut oil.
- Firmly push back the roller ball, screw on the cap and shake well to combine the oils.
- Roll on the temples, behind ears and base of skull.
2. ‘Steady There!’ Personal Inhaler Blend
What you need
- 5 drops peppermint
- 3 drops rosemary
- 3 drops lavender
- Aromatherapy inhaler (where to get it)
- Remove the cotton wick from the inhaler and add the essential oils, drop by drop.
- Put the wick back inside the inhaler and snap the plug on its bottom.
- Take deep breaths from the inhaler when needed.
3. Dizziness Duo Blend
What you need
- 2 drops peppermint
- 2 drops ginger
- 1 tsp coconut oil (where to get it)
Mix the two essential oils in the coconut oil and gently rub on temples, base of skull and behind ears.
Are you ready to try essential oils for vertigo?