Our immune system is nothing short of miraculous, always on standby to defend our bodies from intruding foreign particles and microbes. The immune system is our defender, protector and guardian, unleashing its troop of white blood cells within minutes of detecting a foreign body, engulfing the culprits and expelling them via mucous and other body channels.
But what if you have a weak immune system? Some people are born with a non-functioning or comprised immune system due to genetic conditions or health conditions, that can only be corrected via bone marrow transplant. Others may notice their immune systems performing at sub-par levels after strong rounds of antibiotic treatment. Stress also causes lowered immunity levels. You can identify whether you have a poorly functioning immune system using the following signs:
Signs of a Weak Immune System
If you identify with one or more signs below, it could very well mean you have a weak immune system and should consider methods of building your immunity, such as using essential oils:
- You are prone to stress and anxiety
- You rarely drink water/ your lips are ever dry and cracked
- You eat a diet full of processed foods
- You are quick to catch a cold
- Your nose is too dry/too runny
- You are overweight/obese
- And many more
The Role of Essential Oils in Building Immunity
The immune boosting qualities of essential oils have been recognized since ancient times, even before the science behind the functioning of the immune system was established. The following list of essential oils are known to boost activity in different parts of the immune system, to boost the production and supply of white blood cells, and to improve the efficiency of the immune system. They can also help destroy microbes in the air and on the body in order to reduce the burden on the immune system while allowing it to build up.
Top 15 Essential Oils to Build Immune System
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
2. Lavender Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
3. Oregano Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
4. Lemon Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
5. Sage Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
6. Cinnamon Leaf Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
7. Eucalyptus Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
8. Roman Chamomile Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
9. Frankincense Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
10. Myrrh Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
11. Sandalwood Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
12. Bergamot Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
13. Vetiver Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
14. Thyme Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
15. Sweet Basil Essential Oil (Where to Get It)
How to Use these Essential Oils for Building Immunity
There are many ways to use essential oils to boost immunity, and ingesting them is NOT one that I recommend. Instead try and:
- Diffuse these essential oils using a good quality diffuser. Remember, do not diffuse essential oils near babies for long durations
- Wear them on jewelry
- Use them in lotions and massage creams
- Dilute them and apply to different pulse points on your body like the temples, wrists and around the navel
- Add a few drops to your bath
- Sprinkle a few drops on your handkerchief so you can pull it out and sniff any time during the day
- Use as a perfume on your clothes so you can inhale the aroma all day long
- Dot a few drops on your pillow to get the benefits as you sleep
- And many more!
Other Factors that Need to be Considered for Strong Immunity
Using essential oils is a great way to boost your immunity but they need to be used in conjunction with other healthy habits, or else they may be of next to no use. Make sure you are incorporating the following elements in your life for a strong immune system that can be on the defense 24/7.
» Adequate intake of water: Our bodies are made of 70% water and our blood that transports the white blood cells (fighter cells), among others, is made of a large portion of water. Now just imagine what the consequences of being chronically lacking in water are! There’s a popular saying that “You are not sick; you are just thirsty!” Drink enough water to keep your cells in top working condition.
» Eating a balanced diet: Make sure you eat a diet that is balanced, and rich in lots of fruits and greens. If you cannot, for whatever reason, eat a balanced diet, do consider visiting your doctor to get quality vitamin and mineral supplements to make sure you are depriving your immune system of vital nutrients that it needs to defend your body.
» Ditch the junk: Processed foods are laden with artificial colorants, synthetic compounds, preservatives and artificial flavors that put an unwanted burden on your immune system. Replace junk with healthy options like nature’s REAL fast food – fruits!
» Get rid of toxic cosmetic and household products: Deodorants, perfumes, shampoos, lotions all contain carcinogenic and neurotoxic compounds that tax your immune system and compromise its function. Look for natural alternatives for these products, or make your own – it’s simple, all you need is a bit of time and creativity!
If you have a special way you like to use essential oils to build immune system, please mention them in the comments below so others can benefit!