Lavender hydrosol? Yes, it is as exquisite as it sounds! You can enjoy benefits of lavender hydrosol by making your own right at home!
What is Lavender Hydrosol?
Lavender hydrosol is extracted from the fresh flowers of lavender. It is a by-product of lavender essential oil extraction. However, lavender hydrosol can also be distilled separately, without extracting the essential oil.
Out of all the hydrosols, lavender hydrosol is the most popular, coming second only to rose hydrosol!
Though it looks just like water, do not be fooled – this hydrosol is absolutely aromatic, with the delicate scent of lavender flowers that will instantly calm and relax your mind, body and soul.
The benefits of lavender hydrosol are rich and dynamic. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, sedative, anti-depressant, skin soother and cleanser.
For more benefits of lavender hydrosol, read: Lavender Hydrosol Benefits, Usage, Tips and More
How to Make Lavender Hydrosol at Home
May be you’re lucky enough to have your own fresh lavender growing in your backyard or garden. Or perhaps you have access to fresh lavender from your local farmer’s market! Either way, these are great excuses to go ahead and make your own lavender hydrosol at home!
- Home distillation kit (where to get it) Getting your own home distillation kit is very handy if you’re planning to be making hydrosols a lot or if you own a small natural herbal business. You can purchase the PureStiller Lite Home Distillation Kit. All you need to do is load up your herbs, in this case lavender buds, and water then place the equipment over a heat source! Since it’s a transparent equipment, you can watch everything happening live! Obviously, this kit can also be used to distill essential oils at the same time. So it’s a 2-in-1 thing!
- Stainless steel sauce pan with lid
- Heat-resistant bowl
- Ice cubes
- Zip lock bag
- Fresh lavender buds 500 g
- Got a home distillation kit? You don’t need to work a sweat! Simply load up your lavender flowers into the plant materials chamber, fill the bottom pot with water, and turn on the heat source. Sit back and watch the magic of steam distillation happen.
- Don’t have a home distillation kit? Don’t worry, you can still make lavender hydrosol at home. All you need are a few kitchen items. Here’s how you can make lavender hydrosol at home, without a home distillation kit:
- Get your large, flat bottomed stainless steel pot, and layer it with the fresh lavender buds. Carefully pour ¼ cup of water at the bottom of the sauce pan. This is the water that will be heated in order to produce the steam that will pass through the lavender flowers and carry the hydrosol vapor to the top.
- In the middle of your sauce pan, place a brick (or other similar heat-resistant item) over the lavender flowers. Now place your heat-resistant bowl on top of the brick. Your hydrosol will drip and collect in this bowl.
- Close the pan with the lid turned upside down (preferably dome-shaped lid). This way, the condensed hydrosol vapors will easily converge to the center of the dome and trickle down to the bowl without much waste.
- Fill 2 zip lock bags with your ice blocks or ice cubes and place these on the lid.
- Turn on the heat and wait for 20 – 30 minutes to allow the process of steam distillation to happen!
- Once done, allow your lavender hydrosol to cool before transferring it into an amber glass bottle or spray bottle.
How to Use Lavender Hydrosol
- Face Mist : Lavender hydrosol is incredibly helpful for many skin conditions including acne and dry skin. Fill lavender hydrosol in a fine-mist spray bottle and use it on your face as a cleanser, toner or refresher.
- Add to a Bath : Add 1/2 cup of lavender hydrosol to your bath, your baby’s bath or your dog’s bath. This will help you relax as you enjoy the skin soothing benefits of lavender. You can do this once a week.
- Diffuse : One of the best ways to purify your indoor air is through diffusing lavender hydrosol!
Where to Buy Lavender Hydrosol
If you don’t have the time or resources to make your own, purchase 100% Pure and Organic Lavender Hydrosol from Plant Therapy.