Got a hacking dry cough that gives you no respite? Try any of these effective essential oils for dry cough relief and how to use them!
Dry cough is a type of cough where a person coughs without expectoration or mucus coming out. It usually occurs after a sore throat, when your throat is itchy, irritated and painful. Dry coughs are debilitating because no matter how much you cough, nothing comes out and it is persistent.
When you have a dry cough, it can take long to get cured, even with conventional medication. Dry coughs can also cause shortness of breath and difficulty breathing. Chest pain can also be experienced by those with dry cough since coughing is strenuous and puts a lot of pressure on the upper respiratory system.
Home remedies are real gems when it comes to cure dry coughing. They soothe the dry and inflamed throat, promote easy breathing and reduce inflammation. Let’s check out the best essential oils for dry cough and how to use them:
Top 5 Essential Oils for Dry Cough
The top 5 essential oils for dry cough include:
1. Eucalyptus essential oil (where to get it)
2. Peppermint essential oil (where to get it)
3. Oregano essential oil (where to get it)
4. Tea tree essential oil (where to get it)
5. Clove essential oil (where to get it)
How to Use Essential Oils for Dry Cough
There are a quite a number of ways to use essential oils for dry cough. The most effective ones are:
- Facial steaming – See recipe below.
- Gargling – To gargle, fill a cup with 1 cup of very warm water and stir in 1 tsp of salt. Now add 1 drop of tea tree oil, 1 drop eucalyptus oil and 1 drop of clove oil. Stir well with a stainless steel stirring rod then use it to gargle. Do this about 3 times a day.
- Vapor rub – Make a DIY Essential Oil Vapor Rub and apply it on your throat, chest, upper back and feet. Cover your feet with socks.
- Shower melts – Learn how to make DIY Essential Oil Shower Melts
- Wild oil of oregano oil capsules (where to get it) – Eat two capsules per day after or with food. Oregano is a powerful antibacterial and antimicrobial. It’s very good for immediately alleviating colds, cough, sore throats, tonsillitis and other upper respiratory illnesses.
Let’s check out how to use essential oils using the first and most effective method which is facial steaming. Facial steaming with essential oils projects essential oil-infused steam towards you which soothes your throat, moistens it, encourages expectoration and reduces inflammation. It also warms you up which is helpful if your dry cough is caused by a cold.
1. Facial steaming with Essential Oils for Dry Cough
What you need
- 1 drop tea tree oil (where to get it)
- 1 drop peppermint oil (where to get it)
- 3 cups of water
- Boil 3 cups of water then carefully place the pot on a flat surface over a place mat.
- Now sit right in front of the pot and add 1 drop of tea tree oil and peppermint oil each.
- Get a towel and create a tent with it, over your head and the pot to trap the steam.
- Stay in the essential-oil infused steam until you can’t feel the steam anymore. If it’s possible, keep your mouth open to allow the steam to reach your throat.
- Repeat 3-4 times a day.