Try using essential oils for PCOS to naturally support your healing journey. Essential oils can help treat your symptoms and increase fertility!
More and more women with PCOS are turning to natural remedies to help get their symptoms under control. And guess what? These remedies are working! One such remedy is essential oils. They are Nature’s most powerful plant extracts in liquid form. To obtain essential oils, aromatic parts of plants are pressed using two special methods: steam distillation or mechanical compression. Essential oils are so potent. Get this – to produce just 5 ml of rose essential oil, 22 pounds of fresh roses are needed! That’s why when using essential oils, you should always remember that a little goes a long way.
In this article, we shall explore the best essential oils for PCOS and how to use them. You’ll find a potent DIY Essential Oil Blend for PCOS to support you in your healing journey!
Don't Miss: Our Essential Oil Ebooks
What is PCOS?
PCOS in full form is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. It is a set of symptoms that come about due to increased androgens (male hormones) in women. PCOS is the most common endocrine disorder affecting women between the ages of 18 and 44. About 2-20% of women of child bearing age are affected by PCOS, depending on how it is defined.
One or two of the ovaries can be affected by PCOS. It is characterized by a collection of cysts on the ovary, resembling a string of pearls, which causes it to bulge and produce more androgens than normal.
PCOS is one of the leading causes of infertility. It is a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Some of the risk factors of PCOS include obesity, lack of physical exercise and a family history of someone with the condition.
Symptoms of PCOS
Some women do not experience symptoms at all. However, some experience one or more of the following:
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Heavy periods
- Excess hair
- Weight gain or trouble losing weight
- Insulin resistance
- Low sex drive
- Thinning hair on the scalp
- Pelvic pain
- Difficulty getting pregnant
- Patches of thick, darker velvety skin
- And more
Let’s check out how essential oils can help manage PCOS:
How do Essential Oils Help PCOS
Essential oils are highly concentrated substances. They are made up of many chemical constituents including terpenes, ketones, acetates and more. These constituents are what makes each essential oil special and different from each other. They give an essential oil its numerous therapeutic properties. Some of these properties include hormone-balancing, cytophylactic, anti-inflammatory, tonic, stimulant, antibacterial, analgesic and more.
What makes essential oils special is their therapeutic properties. Here are the following benefits of essential oils for PCOS:
- Help balance hormones
- Reduce inflammation in the body
- Reduce thinning hair on the scalp
- Fight acne
- Increase fertility
- Act as natural aphrodisiacs
- Regulate menstrual periods
- Help in weight management
- Reduce pelvic pain
- Increase energy and boost mood
- And more
Below are the top 10 essential oils for PCOS:
Top 10 Essential Oils for PCOS
1. Clary Sage Essential Oil
- What it does: Balances hormones, Assists in hair growth, Acts as a uterine tonic, Boosts estrogen levels, Works in synergy with geranium essential oil for ovarian support.
2. Geranium Essential Oil
- What it does: Supports women’s health, Regulates hormones, Promotes healthy functioning of reproductive system, Fights hormonal acne
3. Lavender Essential Oil
- What it does: Quells anxiety, Reduces stress, Regulates scanty periods, Balances the endocrine system, Blends well with geranium and clary essential oils for ovarian support.
4. Sandalwood Essential Oil
- What it does: Balances out testosterone levels which bring symptoms like male pattern baldness, excess body hair and acne.
5. Cypress Essential Oil
- What it does: Promotes proper blood circulation, Supports fertility.
6. Cinnamon Essential Oil
- What it does: Supports weight loss, Regulates insulin levels.
7. Frankincense Essential Oil
- What it does: Helps in getting rid of ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids, Balances the endocrine system, Strong anti-inflammatory
8. Rose Otto Essential Oil
- What it does: Natural aphrodisiac, Beautifies skin & Fights acne, Strong anti-inflammatory, Supports fertility, Normalizes irregular periods
9. German Chamomile Essential Oil
- What it does: Supports women’s health, Strong anti-inflammatory, Soothing & Calming properties for the mind and whole body
10. Myrrh Essential Oil
- What it does: Normalizes scanty periods, Helps clear a congested uterus
How to Use Essential Oils for PCOS
The most effective ways to use essential oils for PCOS is preparing a master synergistic PCOS blend consisting of all of the above essential oils good for PCOS. This synergistic blend can be used in any of the following ways:
1. Castor Oil Pack – Get a non-food use bowl and pour in ¼ cup of castor oil. Now add 10-15 drops of the PCOS blend and stir with with a stainless steel rod. Next, soak a wool flannel in the castor oil mixture till it’s all absorbed. Now wring it out well so that it’s damp, not dripping with oil. Place this castor oil pack on your lower abdomen and lay down for about 2-3 hours. You can put a heating pad or hot water bottle over the flannel to introduce heat so that oil can penetrate deeper. Also, you may wear an old T-shirt while the pack does it’s magic because castor oil can stain. Do this preferably at night time. You can also tie the flannel around your lower abdomen and leave it on overnight if you can.
2. In a Healing Bath – Simply mix 20 drops of the blend with 2 cups of Epsom salts and 1 cup of baking soda. Disperse this in a warm bath.
3. Diffusing – In a high quality diffuser, add 6 drops of the PCOS blend. Diffuse it for about 15-60 minutes every day.
4. Foot Massage – The soles of the feet have reflex points that connect to different organs in the body. The outer ankles of the feet connect to the ovaries. The inner ankles of the feet connect to the uterus. In a non-food use bowl, dilute 6 drops of the PCOS blend in 2 tbsp of fractionated coconut oil. Use this to massage the soles of your feet and ankles.
5. Roller Blend – Place 25 drops of the above PCOS blend in a 10ml roller bottle. Now top the bottle with fractionated coconut oil, close it and shake well to combine everything. Roll gently over your lower abdomen at night time.
6. Hair Mask – For thinning hair, this blend can help reduce hair loss and even foster growth of new hairs. To use, just place 1 tbsp of warm castor oil in a non-food use bowl. Warm the castor oil beforehand. Now add 6 drops of the PCOS blend. Stir it together and drop the blend all over your scalp using a spoon. Once your entire scalp is saturated, gently massage it in with your fingers. Wash your hair after 2 hours. You can also leave this on overnight and wash your hair the next day. Shampoo twice to remove all the oils. If possible, use a natural shampoo and conditioner.
Okay, now let’s check out the DIY essential oil blend for PCOS!
DIY Essential Oil Blend for PCOS
Please ensure to dilute the blend below with a carrier oil before use. See ways to use this blend above. Before using this blend (diluted) topically, do a patch test on your inner wrist or elbow. If there’s irritation, then wash the area thoroughly and do not use the blend topically.
What you need
- 20 drops frankincense essential oil
- 20 drops rose otto essential oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 20 drops geranium essential oil
- 20 drops german chamomile essential oil
- 15 drops clary sage essential oil
- 15 drops myrrh essential oil
- 10 drops sandalwood essential oil
- 10 drops cypress essential oil
- 7 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 1 oz amber glass dropper bottle
- Carefully drop all the essential oils mentioned above into your amber glass dropper bottle.
- Once that’s done, screw on the cap securely and keep in a cool dark place for 5 days to allow all the oils to synergize together.
- When 5 days are up, your DIY essential oil blend for PCOS is ready for use, in any of the recommended ways of application, as mentioned earlier.
- Essential oils are for external use only. Do not ingest or use internally.
- Keep essential oils away from children and pets.
- Do not use essential oils if you are pregnant or become pregnant.
- Consult a doctor before using essential oils.
- If you’re new to essential oils, please first read Caution & Safety when Using Essential Oils