Try using the best essential oils for UTI if you suffer from this problem too frequently!
UTIs are the worst! They can cause severe discomfort and pain – I know how terrible they are! UTI in full form is Urinary Tract Infection and it is the second most common infection in the human body. They are very common in women in particular. About 60% of women suffer from UTIs during their life time. Women seem to get them more than men because their urethrae are shorter than men’s, which makes it easy for bacteria to enter and infect the urinary tract. The urethra is the tube through which urine passes through the body.
Causes of UTI
A urinary tract infection occurs when bad bacteria find their way into the urethra or entire your urinary system. They are caused by a wide range of different bacteria but the two most common strains normally found in the urine of infected patients are E.coli and Staphylococcus Saprophyticus bacteria.
Most cases of UTIs are diagnosed in young to middle aged women. They can also happen in young girls. Some of the causes of this bacteria lodging into your urinary system include:
- Weak immune system
- Holding in urine for too long
- Drinking too little water
- Wiping back to front in the toilet
- Sexual activity
- Having previous UTIs
- Kidney stones
- And others
Symptoms of UTI
If you’ve had a UTI before or currently have one, then chances are you’ve experienced or are experiencing the following symptoms:
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Little urine comes out
- Pain or burning during urination
- Mild to severe itching
- Pain, discomfort or pressure on pelvic area or lower abdomen
- Urine appears dark and smells stronger than usual
- Muscle aches and fatigue
How do Essential Oils Work for UTI
Essential oils are pure liquid plant extracts obtained from the aromatic parts of parts such as the leaves, flowers, roots, fruit rinds, etc. Each essential oil is composed of a different chemical structure and unique scent, which gives it characteristic therapeutic properties.
The reasons why essential oils are helpful for UTI is because they:
- Strengthen the immune system
- Reduce fluid retention in the body
- Have antibacterial properties
- Get rid of toxins
- And more!
6 Essential Oils for UTI
Below is a list of the best essential oils for UTI treatment and prevention:
- Wild oil of Oregano (where to get it)
- Juniper berry essential oil (where to get it)
- Clove essential oil (where to get it)
- Myrrh essential oil (where to get it)
- Frankincense essential oil (where to get it)
- Tea tree essential oil (where to get it)
How to Use Essential Oils for UTI
» Foot Blend: Add 10 drops clove oil, 10 drops myrrh oil and 5 drops oregano oil to a 10 ml roller bottle. Top with fractionated coconut oil. Roll this blend on your foot right before bed. You can throw on a pair of socks. This blend works through Foot Reflexology Therapy by targeting the urinary system area. Please read: Essential Oils and Foot Reflexology
» Tea Tree Sitz Bath: This provides the best relief from itchy painful and burning private areas. Get a sitz bath tub or any other large tub that you can sit in. Now fill it a quarter of the way with hot water. Mix up ¼ cup of salt with 3 drops of tea tree oil and 1 tbsp coconut oil. Add this to your hot water. Strip down then sit in the tub for as long as you can to provide relief.
Other Remedies for UTI
- Barley water. When you feel the burning sensation of urinating yet little urine comes out, make yourself 3 liters of barley water and keep drinking it throughout the day. This is by far the best home remedy for UTI.
- Cranberry juice. Drinking cranberry juice during a UTI helps treat it naturally. If you have a history of UTIs, make it a point to regularly drink cranberry juice, especially if you feel a UTI coming on. It will stop it right in its tracks. It supports a healthy urinary system.
- Drink lots of water. Apart from drinking the above two, also drink tons of water to flush out bacteria from your urinary system.
Prevention is Better than Cure
If you have a UTI now, please take the following measures below to ensure you don’t get one again:
- Don’t hold in urine. If you need to go to the bathroom, then by all means GO. Even if it’s behind the tree or something. Just don’t hold it in.
- Drink enough water. Keep your urinary system free from bacteria by drinking enough water throughout the day. Eight glasses will do.
- Take probiotics. Kefir, yogurt and fermented foods are good to consume everyday to keep your immune system strong and prevent UTIs. Probiotic supplements like NatureWise Women’s Probiotics w/ Cranberry & D-Mannose are also very helpful to replenish your good bacteria and strengthen your immunity.