Commercial flea collars and repellents can be toxic for your furry friend. Find out how to make a much safer DIY essential oil flea collar at home!
Is your dog itchy with ticks and fleas?! Don’t worry – you can use a few essential oils to help ward off these pesky critters! Making a DIY essential oil flea collar is a smart, safe and budget-friendly way of controlling fleas on our lovely canines. You only need a select few essential oils for fleas. Here they are:
Essential Oils for Fleas in Dogs
- Lavender (where to get it)
- Lemongrass (where to get it)
- Peppermint (where to get it)
- Eucalyptus (where to get it)
- Cedarwood (where to get it)
- Thyme (where to get it)
- Tea tree (where to get it)
How to Make a DIY Essential Oil Flea Collar
Select one or more of the above essential oils, get a nice bandana and get to work making your own DIY essential oil flea collar! Check below for details on what you’ll be using and the directions:
Don't Miss: Our Essential Oil Ebooks
What you need
- 1 tbsp witch hazel (where to get it)
- 2 drops lavender essential oil (where to get it)
- 2 drops tea tree essential oil (where to get it)
- 1 drop lemongrass essential oil (where to get it)
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil (where to get it)
- Bandana (where to get it) or woven dog collar (where to get it)
- Bowl to mix the ingredients
- Get a non-food use bowl and pour in 1 tbsp of witch hazel.
- Now carefully add the essential oils: 2 drops lavender essential oil, 2 drops tea tree essential oil, 1 drop lemongrass essential oil and 1 drop peppermint essential oil.
- Mix everything up with a disposable chopstick or non-food use utensil.
- Soak the bandana or woven dog collar in the bowl for about 10 minutes then get it out and let it dry completely for 1-2 hours.
- Fold the completely dry bandana into a collar (if using a collar, skip this step) and tie it on your dog’s neck.
- Soak the bandana or dog collar in new essential oil solution every 2-4 weeks to keep pesky fleas away.
Other Ways to Keep Fleas Away From Your Dogs
- DIY Dog Shampoo. Do you know that you can make a DIY Essential Oil Dog Shampoo? Yes, that’s right! Follow the link to get the recipe. To repel fleas, use the above flea repelling essential oils in that shampoo.
- Dog Flea Spray. Instead of making the DIY essential oil flea collar above, just make a quick Dog Flea Spray! Simply get a 4 oz amber spray bottle and fill it with witch hazel. Then add 2 drops each of peppermint, tea tree, lavender, lemongrass and cedarwood essential oils. Shake well and carefully spray on your dog’s neck, avoiding the eyes and ears.