Commercial flea collars and repellents can be toxic for your furry friend. Find out how to make a much safer DIY essential oil flea collar at home!
Is your dog itchy with ticks and fleas?! Don’t worry – you can use a few essential oils to help ward off these pesky critters! Making a DIY essential oil flea collar is a smart, safe and budget-friendly way of controlling fleas on our lovely canines. You only need a select few essential oils for fleas. Here they are:
Essential Oils for Fleas in Dogs
- Lavender (where to get it)
- Lemongrass (where to get it)
- Peppermint (where to get it)
- Eucalyptus (where to get it)
- Cedarwood (where to get it)
- Thyme (where to get it)
- Tea tree (where to get it)
How to Make a DIY Essential Oil Flea Collar
Select one or more of the above essential oils, get a nice bandana and get to work making your own DIY essential oil flea collar! Check below for details on what you’ll be using and the directions:
What you need
- 1 tbsp witch hazel (where to get it)
- 2 drops lavender essential oil (where to get it)
- 2 drops tea tree essential oil (where to get it)
- 1 drop lemongrass essential oil (where to get it)
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil (where to get it)
- Bandana (where to get it) or woven dog collar (where to get it)
- Bowl to mix the ingredients
- Get a non-food use bowl and pour in 1 tbsp of witch hazel.
- Now carefully add the essential oils: 2 drops lavender essential oil, 2 drops tea tree essential oil, 1 drop lemongrass essential oil and 1 drop peppermint essential oil.
- Mix everything up with a disposable chopstick or non-food use utensil.
- Soak the bandana or woven dog collar in the bowl for about 10 minutes then get it out and let it dry completely for 1-2 hours.
- Fold the completely dry bandana into a collar (if using a collar, skip this step) and tie it on your dog’s neck.
- Soak the bandana or dog collar in new essential oil solution every 2-4 weeks to keep pesky fleas away.
Other Ways to Keep Fleas Away From Your Dogs
- DIY Dog Shampoo. Do you know that you can make a DIY Essential Oil Dog Shampoo? Yes, that’s right! Follow the link to get the recipe. To repel fleas, use the above flea repelling essential oils in that shampoo.
- Dog Flea Spray. Instead of making the DIY essential oil flea collar above, just make a quick Dog Flea Spray! Simply get a 4 oz amber spray bottle and fill it with witch hazel. Then add 2 drops each of peppermint, tea tree, lavender, lemongrass and cedarwood essential oils. Shake well and carefully spray on your dog’s neck, avoiding the eyes and ears.
More Resources about Using Essential Oils for Fleas
- Flea Control: Eucalyptus Oil for Fleas on Dogs
- Natural Pest Control: Lavender Oil for Ticks and Fleas (DIY Spray Recipe Included!)