Use this DIY essential oil pillow spray to fall asleep faster and relax your mind while you drift off!
Pillow sprays may seem like a weird thing but they’re actually very useful for those of us who can’t fall asleep fast. They use essential oils that induce sleep to help you fall asleep quicker by calming the mind and promoting feelings of rest, relaxation and tranquility.
Top 5 Essential Oils that Promote Sleep & Relaxation
Check out the list of top essential oils for sleep below:
- Lavender essential oil (where to get it)
- Cedarwood essential oil (where to get it)
- Chamomile essential oil (where to get it)
- Marjoram essential oil (where to get it)
- Vetiver essential oil (where to get it)
The best two are Lavender + Cedarwood which are what we shall be using in this DIY essential oil pillow spray recipe.
- 7 Essential Oils for Deep Sleep & Ways to Use them
- 7 Soothing Essential Oil Diffuser Recipes for Sleep
- 5 DIY Essential Oil Sleep Blend Recipes
Studies Showing Essential Oils Promote Sleep
- Study One: Lavender increases the Percentage of Deep or Slow Wave Sleep and increases stage 2 (light) sleep which decreases restlessness and insomnia (read more)
- Study Two: Lavender Decreases Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep, thereby promoting a deep peaceful and good quality sleep with no disturbances or tossing and turnings (read more)
- Study Three: Inhalation of essential oils have a positive effect on sleep and may be considered for people with mild sleep disturbances (read more)
DIY Essential Oil Pillow Spray Recipe
What you need
- 1 oz witch hazel (where to get it)
- 3 oz distilled water (where to get it)
- 10 drops lavender essential oil (where to get it)
- 10 drops cedarwood essential oil (where to get it)
- Small funnel (where to get it)
- 4 oz amber spray bottle (where to get it)
- Using a small funnel, transfer 1 oz of witch hazel into your amber spray bottle.
- Next carefully add 10 drops of lavender essential oil and 10 drops of cedarwood essential oil.
- Now pour in 3 oz of distilled water.
- Close the bottle and shake well to mix everything together.
- Your DIY essential oil pillow spray is ready!
- When it’s sleep time, spray once or twice on your pillow, let it absorb then lie down and enjoy the therapeutic scent that will send you to dreamland! This spray can also be used for children. It can also calm dogs if you spray it around their sleeping areas.