It’s so easy to make your own DIY essential oil liquid soap right at home!
I don’t know if it’s just me or what but store-bought liquid soaps just leave my hands soapy even with all that rinsing. On top of that, I feel icky of the chemicals and artificial fragrances in them PLUS they’re expensive.
Nowadays, you can find DIYs of almost every household essential out there. Whether it’s shampoo, all-purpose cleaner, shaving oil, toothpaste, liquid soap…practically anything that can be bought it seems can be DIYed. And the reason why more and more people are DIYing their stuff is because it’s healthier, cheaper and most of all, IT WORKS!
Yes, folks! And be prepared to banish chronic dry hands once and for all with this DIY essential oil liquid soap. I’ve added 4 tbsp of jojoba oil to the recipe for extra moisturizing and nourishing properties. You can feel free to use almond oil, liquid coconut oil or olive oil, in place of the jojoba oil!
Let’s get right onto the recipe, shall we?!
How to Make a DIY Essential Oil Liquid Soap
Note: Use a 1% essential oil dilution which means 1 drop of essential oil per tsp of liquid soap. In this recipe, we shall be using 40 drops of essential oil. 1% essential oil dilution is safe for the entire family, including kids. Here are some specific essential oils to use:
- If you want a floral liquid soap, go for ylang ylang oil! It’s truly amazing and has a long lasting scent.
- For an antibacterial liquid soap, tea tree oil is your best bet. It’s a powerful disinfectant.
- A citrusy liquid soap needs lemon essential oil or sweet orange essential oil. You’ll be in citrus heaven!
- For sensitive skin, use lavender essential oil, chamomile essential oil or rose essential oil.
What you need
- 1 bar unscented castile soap (where to get it)
- 4 cups water
- 4 tbsp jojoba oil (where to get it)
- 10 drops lemon oil (where to get it)
- 20 drops lavender oil (where to get it)
- 10 drops peppermint oil (where to get it)
- Cheese grater (where to get it) or food processor (where to get it)
- Liquid soap dispenser (where to get it)
- Funnel (where to get it)
- Using the cheese grater or food processor (it’s much easier using this), grate up 1 bar of unscented castile soap.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a pot over the stove.
- Once the water comes to a rolling boil, remove the pot from heat and add your grated soap flakes.
- Stir it until well combined.
- Allow the soap mixture to cool for about 15 minutes then stir again.
- Leave the mixture to sit overnight so the grated soap flakes can dissolve. It will thicken up as it cools.
- The next day, stir in the essential oils: 10 drops each of lemon and peppermint essential oil & 20 drops lavender essential oil. Also add 4 tbsp of jojoba oil and stir very well until combined.
- Store the soap in a liquid soap dispenser or pump bottle.
Please give this DIY essential oil liquid soap recipe a go! Don’t forget that you can use your own essential oil(s) instead of the ones I’ve used above!