Adding essential oils to witch hazel has so many uses for health, beauty and more!
What is Witch Hazel?
You’ve probably seen witch hazel in the ingredients list of many health and beauty products.
Witch hazel is an astringent compound that is produced from the leaves and bark of the North American witch hazel shrub. Its scientific name is Hamamelis virginiana.
Don't Miss: Our Essential Oil Ebooks
The Native Americans used witch hazel for a wide variety of purposes, most of them medicinal. Here are some of the amazing benefits of witch hazel:
- Natural remedy for eczema and psoriasis
- Facial toner
- Disinfects minor wounds and cuts
- Soothes hemorrhoids
- Reduces inflammation
- Used as an aftershave
- Alleviates poison ivy rashes
- Treats insect bites
- And more!
How to Dilute Essential Oils for Witch Hazel
Witch hazel makes a great natural emulsifier for essential oils! Emulsifiers help mix up the essential oils seamlessly into its base ingredient or carrier oil to form an emulsion. There are many natural emulsifiers for essential oils and you can read about them here: Natural Emulsifiers for Essential Oils
To dilute essential oils, simply add 2 drops of essential oil (of your choice) to 1 tsp of witch hazel. This is a 2% essential oil dilution which is the recommended safe dilution for adults. For children use, 1 drop of essential oil in 1 tsp of witch hazel. For babies, use 1 drop of essential oil in 2 tsp of witch hazel.
Find out more: How to Dilute Essential Oils
Essential Oil Recipes with Witch Hazel
There are many amazing essential oil recipes with witch hazel you can try out! Some of the products you can make right at home using witch hazel + essential oils include:
- DIY facial toner – Witch Hazel + Essential Oils Facial Toner
- DIY deodorant spray – DIY Hydrosol Deodorant Spray Recipe
- Natural acne care – How to Use Witch Hazel and Essential Oils for Acne
- DIY bug spray – DIY Essential Oil Bug Spray
- DIY foot spray – DIY Essential Oil Foot Spray
- DIY flea spray – DIY Essential Oil Flea Spray
- Yoga mat cleaner – Homemade Essential Oil Yoga Mat Cleaner
- DIY dog spray – DIY Essential Oil Dog Spray
- Sun burn spray – DIY Essential Oil Sunburn Spray
- Poison ivy spray
- Wound disinfectant
- And more
Have you made any DIY products by adding essential oils to witch hazel? Share below!