Adding essential oils to witch hazel has so many uses for health, beauty and more! Now what is witch hazel? You’ve probably seen witch hazel in the ingredients list of many health and beauty products.
Witch hazel is an astringent compound that is produced from the leaves and bark of the North American witch hazel shrub. Its scientific name is Hamamelis virginiana.
What Are The Benefits of Witch Hazel?
The Native Americans used witch hazel for a wide variety of purposes, most of them medicinal. Here are some of the amazing benefits of witch hazel:
- Natural remedy for eczema and psoriasis
- Facial toner
- Disinfects minor wounds and cuts
- Soothes hemorrhoids
- Reduces inflammation
- Used as an aftershave
- Alleviates poison ivy rashes
- Treats insect bites
- And more!
Adding Essential Oils to Witch Hazel – How to Dilute
Witch hazel makes a great natural emulsifier for essential oils! Emulsifiers help mix up the essential oils seamlessly into its base ingredient or carrier oil to form an emulsion. There are many natural emulsifiers for essential oils and you can read about them here: Natural Emulsifiers for Essential Oils
When you’re adding essential oils to witch hazel, you’ll need:
- 2 drops of essential oil (of your choice)
- 1 tsp of witch hazel
This is a 2% essential oil dilution which is the recommended safe dilution for adults. For children, use 1 drop of essential oil in 1 tsp of witch hazel. For babies, use 1 drop of essential oil in 2 tsp of witch hazel.
So for 1/2 cup of witch hazel, you’ll need to add 48 drops of essential oil for a 2% dilution. That’s about 1/2 a tsp of essential oil, for easier measurement.
Find out more about adding essential oils to witch hazel or other carriers and oils: How to Dilute Essential Oils
10 Essential Oil Recipes with Witch Hazel
There are many amazing essential oil recipes with witch hazel you can try out! Some of the products you can make right at home by adding essential oils to witch hazel include:
- DIY facial toner – Witch Hazel + Essential Oils Facial Toner
- DIY deodorant spray – DIY Hydrosol Deodorant Spray Recipe
- Natural acne care – How to Use Witch Hazel and Essential Oils for Acne
- DIY bug spray – DIY Essential Oil Bug Spray
- DIY foot spray – DIY Essential Oil Foot Spray
- DIY flea spray – DIY Essential Oil Flea Spray
- Yoga mat cleaner – Homemade Essential Oil Yoga Mat Cleaner
- DIY dog spray – DIY Essential Oil Dog Spray
- Sun burn spray – DIY Essential Oil Sunburn Spray
- Anti-itch spray – DIY Anti-Itch Hair Spray with Peppermint
- Poison ivy spray
- Wound disinfectant
Have you made any DIY products by adding essential oils to witch hazel? Share with us!